The E.Z.N.A.® HP Total RNA Isolation Kit provides a rapid and easy method for RNA isolation from cultured cells or tissues. The kit includes RNA Homogenizer columns that integrate sample homogenization and genomic DNA elimination into one single step. The RNA purification process is simplified with HiBind® Mini Column technology and can be accomplished in 25 minutes. This convenient spin-column format requires no phenol or chloroform, avoids time-consuming steps such as CsCl gradient ultracentrifugation, precipitation with isopropanol or LiCl and allows for multiple samples to be processed in parallel. RNA purified using the E.Z.N.A.® HP Total RNA method is ready for applications such as RT-PCR, RT-qPCR, Northern blotting, next-generation sequencing, poly A+ RNA (mRNA) purification, nuclease protection, and in vitro translation.
- Rapid – RNA isolation in 25 minutes
- Versatile – Spin and vacuum formats available
- Specialized System – Sample Homogenization and gDNA elimination in one step
- Safe – No phenol/chloroform extractions
- High-quality – RNA is suitable for a variety of downstream applications
For Research Use Only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.
|Downstream Application||RT-PCR, RT-qPCR, Northern blotting, next-generation sequencing, poly A+ RNA (mRNA) purification, nuclease protection, and in vitro translation.|
|Starting Material||Cultured cells and tissues|
|Starting Amount||1 x 107 eukaryotic cells or 25-30 mg tissue|
|Elution Volume||40-70 μL|
|RNA Binding Technology||Silica Mini spin column|
|Processing Mode||Manual (centrifugation or vacuum)|
|Throughput||1 - 24|
|Final Purified Product||Total RNA (> 200 nt)|
|RNA Yield||Up to 100 µg|
|Processing Time||25 min|
|Special Notes||RNA Homogenizer Column that integrates sample homogenization and gDNA elimination into a single step|
Protocol and Resources
Product Documentation & Literature
RNA Yield Comparison
Figure 1. RNA yields obtained using the Omega and Company Q’s kits with tissue samples and cultured cell samples. One-way ANOVA followed by Tukey’s post-hoc analysis indicates that the RNA yield extracted using Omega Bio-tek’s kit was significantly better than that of Company Q’s (p < 0.01) for both the sample types tested.
RNA Integrity Analysis – Tissue Samples
Figure 2. Purified RNA from tissue samples was analyzed on an Agilent Tapestation 2200 to provide integrity along with gel images. a) representative electropherogram – Company Q; b) representative electropherogram – Omega Bio-tek.
RNA Integrity Analysis – Cultured Cells
Figure 3. Purified RNA from cultured cells was analyzed on an Agilent Tapestation 2200 to provide integrity along with gel images. a) Representative electropherogram – Company Q; b) representative electropherogram – Omega Bio-tek.
Estimation of gDNA Contamination in the Isolated RNA
Figure 4. Genomic DNA contamination was estimated in the RNA purified using kits from Omega Bio-tek and Company Q.
- Qiu, R., Liu, X., Hu, Y. H., & Sun, B. G. (2013). Expression characterization and activity analysis of a cathepsin B from Pacific abalone Haliotis discus hannai. Fish & shellfish immunology, 34(5), 1376-1382.
- Huang, W., Lan, M. D., Qi, C. B., Zheng, S. J., Wei, S. Z., Yuan, B. F., & Feng, Y. Q. (2016). Formation and determination of the oxidation products of 5-methylcytosine in RNA. Chemical science, 7(8), 5495-5502.
- Zhang, J., Qiu, R., & Hu, Y. H. (2014). HdhCTL1 is a novel C-type lectin of abalone Haliotis discus hannai that agglutinates Gram-negative bacterial pathogens. Fish & shellfish immunology, 41(2), 466-472.
- Liu, Y., Mei, C., Liu, H., Wang, H., Zeng, G., Lin, J., & Xu, M. (2014). Modulation of cytokine expression in human macrophages by endocrine-disrupting chemical Bisphenol-A. Biochemical and biophysical research communications, 451(4), 592-598.
- Honaas, L., & Kahn, E. (2017). A practical examination of RNA isolation methods for European pear (Pyrus communis). BMC research notes, 10(1), 237.
- Qiu, R., Kan, Y., & Li, D. (2016). Ferritin from the Pacific abalone Haliotis discus hannai: Analysis of cDNA sequence, expression, and activity. Fish & shellfish immunology, 49, 315-323.
- Jiang, H. P., Liu, T., Guo, N., Yu, L., Yuan, B. F., & Feng, Y. Q. (2017). Determination of formylated DNA and RNA by chemical labeling combined with mass spectrometry analysis. Analytica chimica acta, 981, 1-10.
- Zhang, J., Yu, C., Wang, Y., Fang, W., & Luo, D. (2014). Enolase of Angiostrongylus cantonensis: more likely a structural component?. Parasitology research, 113(11), 3927-3934.
- Wang, H., Zhang, G., Zhang, H., Zhang, F., Zhou, B., Ning, F., … & Du, J. (2014). Acquisition of epithelial–mesenchymal transition phenotype and cancer stem cell-like properties in cisplatin-resistant lung cancer cells through AKT/β-catenin/Snail signaling pathway. European journal of pharmacology, 723, 156-166.
- Zhang, Y., Jiang, H., Qin, M., Su, X., Cao, Z., & Wang, J. (2016). TNIK serves as a novel biomarker associated with poor prognosis in patients with pancreatic cancer. Tumor Biology, 37(1), 1035-1040.
- Hu, Y. H., Dang, W., & Sun, L. (2012). A TonB-dependent outer membrane receptor of Pseudomonas fluorescens: virulence and vaccine potential. Archives of microbiology, 194(9), 795-802.
- Men, X. M., Deng, B., Xu, Z. W., Tao, X., & Qi, K. K. (2013). Age-related changes and nutritional regulation of myosin heavy-chain composition in longissimus dorsi of commercial pigs. Animal, 7(9), 1486-1492.
- Peng, Y., Xiang, H., Chen, C., Zheng, R., Chai, J., Peng, J., & Jiang, S. (2013). MiR-224 impairs adipocyte early differentiation and regulates fatty acid metabolism. The international journal of biochemistry & cell biology, 45(8), 1585-1593.
- Ma, C., Song, H., Yu, L., Guan, K., Hu, P., Li, Y., … & Li, F. (2016). miR-762 promotes porcine immature Sertoli cell growth via the ring finger protein 4 (RNF4) gene. Scientific reports, 6, 32783.
- Feng, M., Zhou, M., Fu, L. L., Cai, J. J., Ji, L. D., Zhao, J. S., & Xu, J. (2018). Cdc45/Mcm2-7/GINS complex down-regulation mediates S phase arrest in okadaic acid-induced cell damage. Toxicon, 152, 16-22.
- Yao, X., Huang, H., Li, Z., Liu, X., Fan, W., Wang, X., … & Wei, H. (2017). Taurine Promotes the Cartilaginous Differentiation of Human Umbilical Cord-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Vitro. Neurochemical research, 42(8), 2344-2353.
- Ye, H., Shen, Z., Cui, J., Zhu, Y., Li, Y., Chi, Y., … & Wang, P. (2019). Hypoglycemic activity and mechanism of the sulfated rhamnose polysaccharides chromium (III) complex in type 2 diabetic mice. Bioorganic chemistry, 88, 102942.
- Zhu, J., Zeng, Y., Xu, C., Qin, H., Lei, Z., Shen, D., … & Huang, J. A. (2015). Expression profile analysis of microRNAs and downregulated miR-486-5p and miR-30a-5p in non-small cell lung cancer. Oncology reports, 34(4), 1779-1786.
- Zou, M., Jiao, J., Zou, Q., Xu, Y., Cheng, M., Xu, J., & Zhang, Y. (2013). Multiple metastases in a novel LNCaP model of human prostate cancer. Oncology reports, 30(2), 615-622.
- Sun, B. G., & Hu, Y. H. (2016). A novel small heat shock protein of Haliotis discus hannai: characterization, structure modeling, and expression profiles under environmental stresses. Cell Stress and Chaperones, 21(4), 583-591.
- Sun, B. G., & Hu, Y. H. (2015). Identification, mRNA expression profiling and activity characterization of cathepsin L from red drum (Sciaenops ocellatus). Fish physiology and biochemistry, 41(6), 1463-1473.
- Tao, X., Xu, Z., & Men, X. (2015). Transient changes of enzyme activities and expression of stress proteins in the small intestine of piglets after weaning. Archives of animal nutrition, 69(3), 201-211.
- Jia, J., Yang, F., Yang, M., Wang, C., & Song, Y. (2016). P38/JNK signaling pathway mediates the fluoride-induced down-regulation of Fam83h. Biochemical and biophysical research communications, 471(3), 386-390.
- Hu, Y. H., Zhou, H. Z., Jin, Q. W., & Zhang, J. (2016). The serine protease autotransporter Tsh contributes to the virulence of Edwardsiella tarda. Veterinary microbiology, 189, 68-74.
- Cai, F., Li, J., Liu, Y., Zhang, Z., Hettiarachchi, D. S., & Li, D. (2016). Effect of ximenynic acid on cell cycle arrest and apoptosis and COX-1 in HepG2 cells. Molecular medicine reports, 14(6), 5667-5676.
- Yang, H., Zhou, C., Yang, X. B., Long, G. Y., & Jin, D. C. (2019). Effects of Insecticide Stress on Expression of NlABCG Transporter Gene in the Brown Planthopper, Nilaparvata lugens. Insects, 10(10), 334.
- Li, X., Jin, X., Zhou, X., Wang, X., Shi, D., Xiao, Y., & Bi, D. (2014). Pregnane X receptor is required for IFN-α-mediated CYP3A29 expression in pigs. Biochemical and biophysical research communications, 445(2), 469-474.